Classic Tomato Soup with Garlic Bread
This Italian classic is always a winner. It’s at its best when you use ripe summertime tomatoes and fresh basil, but canned tomatoes work fine too.
- 650 g tomatoes
- 2 garlic clove
- 50 g chopped onions
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- pepper & salt, to taste
- optional: fresh basil, to taste
- cream or crème fraîche, to serve
- olive oil
- slices of bread
- Quarter the tomatoes. Peel the garlic.
- Place the soup ingredients into the soup maker.
- Close the lid, select the cream program and wait for the soup maker to be ready.
- Meanwhile, prepare the garlic bread. Preheat an oven or broiler to 200°C. Cut the clove of garlic in two. Drizzle some oil on the slices of bread and rub with the garlic. Bake in the oven for several minutes until they are crisp.
- When the soup is ready, open the lid and pour into bowls. Add a swirl of cream or dollop of crème fraîche. Serve with the garlic bread.